суббота, 9 сентября 2006 г.

September 09, 2006


Saturday, September 09, 2006
Open thread
Busy today. Yardwork, schoolwork, etc.

WF


// posted by Wes @ 9:00 AM |||Comment (0) | Trackback (0)
Friday, September 08, 2006
Why I didn't date in high school - or, for that matter, most of college.
Forty years ago this very day, the National Broadcasting Company put a new show on the air.

Space...the final frontier.

These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise.

Its five-year mission:

To explore strange new worlds.
To seek out new life and new civilizations.
To boldly go where no man has gone before.

I discovered Star Trek around 1980 or so. WAVE-3 out of Louisville would play it at 11am on Sunday mornings. Normally, I would be at church, but this morning I was home sick. Mom had the TV on channel 3 for some reason and left the room. I saw this...this show about space. It had bad acting, cheap special effects, and sometimes awful dialogue.

I didn't care. I was hooked.

Soon we had a VCR, and the tapings began.

I did own a technical manual or two, but I *NEVER* had the costumes. Nor have I been to a convention. I laugh at people who enjoy it, well, a little too much. But the laugh is a gentle one, because I too enjoy the show. In spite of the acting and effects, here was a show that was hopeful about mankind. In the middle of the Vietnam era, that must have indeed been a powerful message. In today's times, it is just as powerful - and just as important.

So, happy birthday, Star Trek. May your true fans never get a life. Live long and prosper.