пятница, 13 мая 2005 г.

May 13, 2005


Friday, May 13, 2005
Go east, young man.
I've alluded to this in earlier posts, but I'm now ready to tell why I was out of town.

I was in North Adams, Massachusetts for an interview. As of 10:30 this morning, I can report with 99.44% certainty that it was successful, and my life is about to change in a most dramatic and exciting way.

Come this fall, I will be Assistant Professor of Music - a tenure-track position - in the Department of Fine and Performing Arts at the Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts in North Adams.

This will, of course, require me to leave Cincinnati. And while I will miss the many wonderful people and places here in the Queen City, this represents a career move that I cannot turn down. I am looking forward to the possibilities.

Feel free to visit - I'm gonna try to have a spare bedroom, and the foliage in the Berkshires is simply amazing.

UPDATE (3:30pm)- it's now 100% official. The VP just called and made the official offer, which I accepted.

WF


// posted by Wes @ 10:48 AM |||Comments (27) | Trackback (0)
Bolton
Though I disagree with one premise in the Enquirer op-ed on John Bolton, I agree wholeheartedly with the other.

I agree that we can produce a better UN ambassador than John Bolton. This is not a "Nixon Goes To China" moment; Nixon was at least sincere in his desire to see China opened up to the West. Bolton has no other mission than to undercut what influence the UN has left as the last step of establishing US hegemony. Bolton is a member of the neo-con cabal known as the Project for a New American Century, which is determined to establish a 21st-century version of the Roman Empire. To appoint John Bolton to the position of UN Ambassador, EVEN IF you don't care for the UN, says to the rest of the world that we simply view you as opposition and/or consumers.

I disagree with the statement that this should have gone to the full Senate; I do wish Sen. Voinovich had refused to send it to the floor. Having said that, I'm glad Sen. Voinovich said what he did, though.